Originally built in 1952 by Eugene Chaney (of Chaney Enterprises, a large Maryland-based sand, gravel and concrete producer), MMR started life as an all-dirt oval track. For the 1954 season, a road course (which was later expanded) was added and the track was paved. The facility also featured a karting track in the infield of the oval.
The development of this road course was heavily influenced by the Lavender Hill Mob, a Washington, D.C.-based affiliate of the SCCA. Until 1954, most large-scale road races held in the Capital area took place at airfields and other such temporary facilities. MMR was in operation during the height of Maryland motorsports. Between MMR, Beltsville Speedway (an oval track outside northeast D.C.) and Aquasco Speedway (one of the first 1/4-mile drag strips on the east coast and the first in the Mid-Atlantic area), Maryland played host to many high-profile motorsports events and welcomed many historic figures in automobile racing.
Motorsports entrepreneur Roger Penske got his start at Marlboro and many other greats in oval and road racing made their way to "The Grand Lady of the East" to test their stock cars and grand prix racers on its challenging curves and intimidating straights. Marlboro Motor Raceway -- 1965MMR was also utilized by motorcycle racing circuits and hosted such greats as Gary Nixon. MMR was not strictly used for racing. The Maryland State Police frequently used the track as a training facility for their high-speed maneuvering and handling courses. "Marlboro Maroon Metallic", a color available on the 1967 Chevrolet Corvette and one of many paint codes named for famous racing venues, was named after Marlboro Motor Raceway.
Currently we only have this video from The Bill Bailey Collection. We'd like to find some still photos to add to our this Marlboro Page.